Nuclear Weapons: History, Technology, and Consequences in Historic Documents, Photos, and Videos
Interview with Father John Siemes
The complete text of the interview with Father John Siemes about his experiences in Hiroshima, including the rescue of Father Kleinsorge, who was prominent in John Hersey's book Hiroshima.
The Jesuit Novitiate on the outskirts of Hiroshima
This photo and video show the novitiate outside of Hiroshima where Father Siemes was living on August 6, 1945.
(160 x 120 QuickTime, 1.9 MBytes)
Video Segments from the Interview
- My name is Father John Siemes... (160x120 Quicktime, 2.4MB)
- Suddenly I saw a light like a magnesium light... (160x120 Quicktime, 3.8MB)
- We saw a procession of people coming from the outskirts of the city... (160x120 Quicktime, 3.8MB)
- I think that it is just rumor... [that the city emits deadly rays.] (160x120 Quicktime, 1.4MB)
- Is total war in its present form justifiable? (160x120 Quicktime, 2.4MB)
Note: These videos are taken from the film The Atom Strikes, by the U.S. Army Signal Corps. This film is of historic interest and does not necessarily represent the policy or plans of the creating agency.